Sunday, July 03, 2005

gettysburg day



It's happy fourth of july holiday for most folks, I reckon, but for me the first few days of july take my mind back to a few hot summer days in 1863 when more than 50,000 soldiers wearing blue and grey were killed near a peach orchard in Pennsylvania. Last year I listened to an audio tour of Gettysburg called "on hallowed ground" and I recommend it for students of that battle, who like myself, have never been to that sacred place. I do hope to see it someday and hope the carnivals of entertainment planned for the surrounding area are kept hid from view. The movie "Gettysburg" was a pretty good rendition of one of my favorite books, "The Killer Angels," by Michael Shaara, but I think I'll go read a few pages right now, since my creativity level seems pretty low.

No comments: