Monday, April 02, 2007

vampires & oprah advice

She's a sleepy vampire; she'll be up all night.
"Sleepy Vampire" by The Supersuckers

The trouble with working an evening shift for more than twenty years is that I get lazy about getting up in the morning. In the winter it's so easy to languish beneath the warm covers until it gets fully light that it becomes a habit that's hard to break in the spring, especially when Daylight Saving Time has arrived early. Or is it that I've finally become one of "the children of the night"? (said with a Bela Lugosi accent). A night stalker in search of....oh wait, I'm a vegetarian. But I suddenly noticed there are NO MIRRORS in this house.

I clipped a paragraph from an old O magazine someone gave me and a journal page developed from it. The quote came at a good time for me. It's from Oprah's "what I know for sure" column:

I believe we discover our destinies in the smallest ways - in a fascination with words, in the thrill a child's laughter evokes, and even in a familiar song we keep humming. If you pay attention to these cues - to the times you've felt most joyous, most fully engaged, most connected with yourself and others - you'll always be guided to the next best place.

I know for sure that every person in the world has a purpose for being here - a calling. The work of your life is to discover that purpose and get on with the business of living it out.

The song I've been humming?
I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony
My Rhapsody Playlist

If the link doesn't work, you can find it at Rhapsody Music.

No comments: