Saturday, February 03, 2007

kill your television

I'm sitting in my living room staring at a toilet. Yes, a toilet. It's a Kohler "Cimarron" "comfort height" with elongated bowl in white. We bought it for the bathroom remodel and there's nowhere else to put it. It occurred to me that it was appropriately stationed next to the television.

I've been without decent tv reception since November when we moved to McKinney. Reception wasn't all that good in our Dallas neighborhood but we moved 40 miles farther from the main broadcasting antennas in Cedar Hill so now it's almost nil. There's a 15-foot tall antenna attached to the to the roof of the house but it's not connected to anything and I haven't found a bonded handyman yet who wants to go up there to deal with the problem. So I bought a set of powered rabbit ears to use in the meantime. They help but I still find that the most useless channels are the ones that come in the clearest. I'm not willing to PAY for tv so I'm learning to live without it. I've found I can watch my few favorite shows on my computer through the broadcast tv websites. It used to be that when I would come home late at night I would turn on the tv to unwind before I went to bed. When I was tired on the weekend I might channel surf for an hour just wasting time trying to get interested in something. Now I'm much more likely to do something creative or constructive.

There used to be some graffiti sprayed onto the bike trail near the southeast bridge at White Rock Lake that you couldn't miss if you walked, biked or skated the trail.

K I L L

Y O U R

T E L E V I S I O N

No comments: