Monday, June 20, 2005

books on cd

I've got a new reason to expect mail. I signed up for a books-on-tape rental service so I can have new inspiration at work while I'm slogging away at my work station. I tried the service last summer and was enormously entertained. I decided it was worth it to try again. I've got tons of music cd's, have almost filled my 30GB iPod with songs, and can listen to other folks' iTunes at work over our network but it's never enough when you have to be sitting in front of a computer screen doing a lot of intensely detailed but fairly repetitious photoshopping. Music helps me get in "the zone" but after awhile it starts running together and becomes a humming annoyance because it's not fresh. I was surprised to find last year that books often did a better job than music of distracting me from my weariness and made those ten-hour shifts just fly by. I'm going for the comedy of David Sedaris, Garrison Keillor, and others of their ilk with some stories and educational stuff thrown in for variety.

Besides, it's always groovy to get stuff in the mail.

No comments: