Sunday, March 18, 2007

back to the glue

Here's a recent page from my art journal, which I have neglected for some time. This is one of the first 5x7 collages where I didn't feel intimidated by the larger page size (my first journal was 3 1/2 x 4 1/2).

I've been really frustrated that my collages don't turn out how I think they should. The truth is I'm out of practice and practice is what usually allows you to get better at something. I've been listening to about half a dozen podcasts to improve my foreign language skills and it suddenly hit me: Repeat, Repeat, Repeat. Someone once told me, "Repetition is the Law of Memory." I don't know if it's been codified but listening to a skilled speaker and repeating simple phrases seems to be the key in all these podcasts for learning both pronounciation and vocabulary in another language and it was also a key ingredient of language classes I attended in college. So what I'm planning is to apply the same principle to collage. I cracked open one of my books on Art Journaling and I'm going to imitate the examples of those more skilled than myself in order to learn technique and eventually have my collages looking more like I would like them to look.

No comments: