Thursday, March 15, 2007

I Wanna be a Flintstone

Don't know what's wrong with my brain.

Is it early signs of Alzheimer's Disease?
Do I have A.A.D.D.?
Is it a P.M.T.? (post menopausal thing?)
Or am I just Plain Loco?

I'm beginning to think Attention Deficit Disorder is a byproduct of modern society's requirement that a person, even a child, must be able to multi-task at any given time. Those who unthinkingly drive, talk on the phone, chew gum and juggle at the same time are "normal". Those who freak have A.D.D. I don't think it's human nature to want to multi-task. Can you imagine the proverbial "cave man" hunting a t-rex while trying to learn another language while worrying about what the price of gas will be when he gets back to the cave, while wondering if his paycheck will clear in time for his bills to get paid without incurring overage charges, while figuring out whether he can get from his son's soccer practice to his daughter's track meet?

I think A.D.D. occurs because people are trying to to things in a linear fashion rather than simultaneously. They're guilty of reminding us that computers have not made our lives easier, have not given us more leisure time, and have not made us a paperless society.

I must be an Anachronism.

No comments: