Monday, March 26, 2007

chunky book swap

I made 5 pages for the "Around the World" Chunky Page Swap on Flickr. This was my first experience making a "chunky" page and I really wasn't sure how to go about it. The pages are 4x4 inches with a 1/2 inch allowance for binding. I started out with collage components relating to Texas and my town of McKinney that included blubonnets, longhorns and a cowboy; typical texas themes. There aren't a lot of cattle in this area anymore as the land is being eaten up by new houses but there are definitely bluebonnets and cowboys, though the cowboys mostly drive pickup trucks. I added a photo of a local victorian house, because there are quite a few here in the old part of McKinney, a toothpick Texas flag, and a piece of rusty twisted wire from what's left of the 100-year-old fence on my property. Most of the wood pickets were either gone or broken; probably rotted from the English ivy that had enveloped the fence. I cut the ivy back, moved the fence from its precarious location and reassembled it as best as I could. I still have a number of pickets that I hope I can piece together and I'm looking at wood preservatives to see if I can save what's left of the wood.

No comments: